Land Tax

Land tax liabilities that arise may be costly and burdensome on property owners. Therefore, all property owners must determine whether they are eligible for any land tax exemption to avoid a significant land tax liability.


To be eligible for the PPR exemption for land tax, an owner will need to address the following criteria:

  • only claim one exemption per family;
  • have continuously used and occupied the property in the taxing year solely for residential purposes before the taxing date (31st December in each year);
  • have used the land for residential purposes; and
  • be a natural person.

Pursuant to s 8 of Schedule 1A of the Land Tax Management Act, an owner who is absent from their principal place of residence will be taken to have continued to use and occupy that residence if:

  • prior to the absence, the owner continuously used and occupied the residence for at least six months; and
  • during the absence, the owner did not own, use or occupy another residence.

The maximum period for which an owner may continue to use and occupy a former residence as a principal place of residence is six years, starting at the end of the last period (of at least six months) during which the former residence was used and occupied by the owner as a principal place of residence.

What if I Rent My Property?

An owner may choose to derive income from the property by renting out the former residence under a lease or licence. Provided that the period that the owner rents out the former residence does not exceed a continuous six-month period or for periods not exceeding a total of 182 days in the calendar year preceding each taxing date to be eligible for a land tax exemption.

Should the owner rent out the former residence for periods longer than a continuous six-month period or periods exceeding a total of 182 days in a calendar year preceding each taxing date, the owner will not be eligible for a land tax exemption and therefore will incur a land tax liability in the following tax year unless the rental income derived by the owner is no more than an amount reasonably required to pay the cost of regular outgoings, such as council, water energy rates, and maintenance costs of the owner in respect of the former residence (excluding the cost of mortgage repayments).

If you have questions regarding your land tax liabilities, get in touch with our expert team on 02 9964 0499 or use the contact form below.

Make an appointment to meet with our dedicated team today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Follow us on Linkedin and Facebook

Related Articles

Taxation of Settlement Sums

Taxation of Settlement Sums and Awards for Damages

After a lengthy legal battle, you may be in receipt of a substantial lump sum settlement payment, or an award of damages in your favour following a judgment. It is important to be aware of the tax implications of those hard-earned monies as they can often be forgotten at the end of a dispute.

Read More

0 Comments5 Minutes

Employment Agreement

Why Have an Employment Agreement?

When an employee embarks on a new job opportunity, the employer will usually have the employee sign an employment agreement. Read more to find out who benefits from this arrangement, its uses, and crucial clauses to look out for.

Read More

0 Comments4 Minutes


Adopting a New Company Constitution

A company constitution is essential in regulating the activities and management of companies. Read more about the complications that may arise in the process of replacing or establishing a new company constitution.

Read More

0 Comments3 Minutes

The articles on this website comprise legal general information and not legal advice. The general information presented here must not be relied upon without legal advice being sought. In the event that you wish to obtain legal advice on the contents of this general information you may do so by contacting our office or your existing solicitor.