It is becoming more and more common for relatives to contribute funds towards the payment of nursing home Refundable Accommodation Deposits or RAD and other aged care fees. These payments are costly and an elderly person entering care might not be able to afford their preferred accommodation on their own. Especially if they don’t have liquid assets.

What is a RAD?

A RAD is a lump-sum payment for a room in an aged care facility and is the price for residents who are not eligible for Australian Government assistance. Each aged care provider sets their price for different rooms. Typically, RADs range from $350,000 – $1,000,000, however, they can be much higher. The resident receives a full refund of the RAD upon leaving the aged care facility. If the resident passes away, their estate recieves the RAD refund.

What should you consider?

If you are considering lending money towards part or the whole of your relative’s nursing home RAD, you must consider and obtain legal advice on how those funds will be returned to you when your relative passes away.

In an ideal scenario, an irrevocable direction is provided to the nursing home requiring that the RAD is repaid to you directly when your relative passes away and not their estate.

If the estate is to recieve the money, it’s critical to have a loan agreement with you relative in place. Therefore ensuring that a dispute does not arise between you and the executor or beneficiaries of the estate who might argue that the loan was a gift.  Or might claim a set off against the money you lent.

How can we help?

Antunes Lawyers can assist with:

  1. Reviewing and providing advice on residential aged care agreements.
  2. Advising on, and preparation of, a loan agreement between the lender of the funds and the person going into aged care.
  3. Preparing an irrevocable direction to the residential aged care facility directing them to pay the RAD to the lender upon the relative’s death.
  4. Providing social security, aged care, tax, and estate planning law advice.

While helping to fund the aged care fees of your relative might seem straightforward, it is important that you obtain legal advice so that critical issues are not overlooked.

Contact our expert Wills and Estates team today. Call us on 02 9964 0499 or use the contact form below.

Make an appointment to meet with our dedicated team today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Follow us on Linkedin and Facebook

Related Articles

Executor choosing a lawyer

An Executor Can Choose the Lawyer to Carry Out Estate Administration

As an executor you may think you must engage the law firm who originally drafted the Deceased's will. However this isn't the case. In fact, it is more beneficial to engage a firm known for their expertise in this area.

Read More

0 Comments3 Minutes

Special Disability Trust

If you are thinking of establishing a Special Disability Trust, it is important that you obtain legal advice so that the document you execute gives effect to your wishes and is compliant with legal requirements. Contact our experienced Wills & Estates Lawyers on (02) 9964 0499.

Read More

0 Comments4 Minutes

What to do when someone passes away? The all-inclusive checklist to assist you and your family following the death of a loved one.

When someone passes away, you may be overwhelmed with googling ‘what to do next’. At Antunes Lawyers, we have dedicated Wills and Estates Lawyers to assist you with this process. As part of our services, we can provide you with a tailored plan and assist you every step of the way. Check out our all-inclusive checklist to help you get started.

Read More

0 Comments4 Minutes

The articles on this website comprise legal general information and not legal advice. The general information presented here must not be relied upon without legal advice being sought. In the event that you wish to obtain legal advice on the contents of this general information you may do so by contacting our office or your existing solicitor.