Reading of the will

Many people think that when a person dies there will be a reading of the Will. You might imagine a gathering of the deceased’s friends and family where someone reads the Will out loud. Films often portray these dramatic scenes. However, Australia does not require reading a Will in such a manner. It rarely happens.

Even though they traditionally do not read the Will, our Wills and Estates team can assist you. They can review and analyse the Will, provide you with advice and guidance on its contents, inform you about your rights under the Will, and advise you on the next steps available to you.

A beneficiary does have a right to request a copy provided to them and the executor has an obligation to do so. However, they do not automatically receive a copy of the will of the deceased person.

Section 54 of the Succession Act 2006 says:

  • any person named or referred to in the last or prior will, whether as a beneficiary or not;
  • the surviving spouse, de facto partner, child, parent, or guardian of the deceased person;
  • Any person who would be entitled to a share of the deceased person’s estate if the deceased person had died intestate (ie without a Will);
  • any parent or guardian of a minor, or anyone who would be entitled to a share of the estate if the deceased person died intestate;
  • any person (including a creditor) who has or may have a claim at law or in equity against the estate of the deceased person; and
  • any attorney under an enduring power of attorney made by the deceased person.

How do I obtain a copy of a Will?

You should contact the executor or the person you believe has possession of the will and request a copy.  If you cannot locate the executor, or you are not successful with your request, our Wills and Estates team to assist you with the next steps.

If Probate has been granted.

The Supreme Court of NSW grants probate. The Grant confirms that the Will is valid and that the executor has permission to distribute the estate. Therefore, if the probate has already been granted, you can request a copy from the Supreme Court of NSW.

If you have questions regarding your Will or Estate, get in touch with our expert team on 02 9964 0499 or use the contact form below.

Make an appointment to meet with our dedicated team today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Follow us on Linkedin and Facebook

Related Articles


Funding Your Relative’s Aged Care? Understanding RADs

What should you consider when taking contributing funds towards your relative's aged care fees? The payment of nursing home Refundable Accommodation Deposits or RAD and other aged care fees can be complicated and costly, and an elderly person entering care might not be able to afford their preferred accommodation on their own.

Read More

0 Comments3 Minutes

Executor choosing a lawyer

An Executor Can Choose the Lawyer to Carry Out Estate Administration

As an executor you may think you must engage the law firm who originally drafted the Deceased's will. However this isn't the case. In fact, it is more beneficial to engage a firm known for their expertise in this area.

Read More

0 Comments3 Minutes

Special Disability Trust

If you are thinking of establishing a Special Disability Trust, it is important that you obtain legal advice so that the document you execute gives effect to your wishes and is compliant with legal requirements. Contact our experienced Wills & Estates Lawyers on (02) 9964 0499.

Read More

0 Comments4 Minutes

What to do when someone passes away? The all-inclusive checklist to assist you and your family following the death of a loved one.

When someone passes away, you may be overwhelmed with googling ‘what to do next’. At Antunes Lawyers, we have dedicated Wills and Estates Lawyers to assist you with this process. As part of our services, we can provide you with a tailored plan and assist you every step of the way. Check out our all-inclusive checklist to help you get started.

Read More

0 Comments4 Minutes

The articles on this website comprise legal general information and not legal advice. The general information presented here must not be relied upon without legal advice being sought. In the event that you wish to obtain legal advice on the contents of this general information you may do so by contacting our office or your existing solicitor.